Thursday, December 4, 2008

An American President Moment

Ok, so I have to admit something. My name is Lynn, and I like a romantic comedy. Typically, I am not a huge fan of these types of movies. I like me a good Pretty Woman here and there, but I can't do Kate and Leopold or A Walk to Remember or any of that gooey ickiness. But, there is one romantic comedy that I like above all others and that is The American President. I love the cast, I love the story line, I think the writing is great and witty, and I love it. Love, love, mushy love it. So, imagine my surprise and glee (oh yes people, I experienced some glee) when Barack Obama had a moment taken straight from one of my fave movies.

For those of you who don't know... in The American President, President Andrew Shepard is a widower and calls a lobbyist Sydney Ellen Wade (love that name) for a date. When he calls, she thinks its someone else and hangs up on him. Twice. When she finds out it really is the Leader of the Free World, imagine her humiliation (I am thinking its on par with hot policeman coming to my house when I am in Pepto Bismol inspired jammies)! Well, imagine Ileana Ros-Lehtinen's!!!
Florida's Republican congresswoman Ros-Lehtinen received a call from a staffer asking her to hold for President Elect Obama. While most of us would trip over our tongues, I would expect a politician to stay semi professional and take the call. Not Ileana (her last name is far too long to keep typing so we're going on a first name basis). She says "I'm sorry but I think this is a joke from one of the South Florida radio stations known for these pranks," (according to a Yahoo news article). Wow, you South Florida hooligans, you! You have turned an otherwise sane woman (I am assuming) into a paranoid nutter butter! So then, future Chief of Staff elect (what do you call this guy before his job starts) Rahm Emanuel (another great name) gives her a call and a heads up that hey, maybe she ought to take Barack O'Head of the Most Powerful Nation in the World's call. She does what? Oh yeah... HANGS UP AGAIN! I am laughing as I type it. Seriously, South Florida radio stations... leave this woman alone! She is clearly on the verge of a radio DJ induced breakdown! This time she said that she "didn't believe the call was legitimate." Does anyone think this woman needs a little self-esteem boost or is it just me? Finally she receives a call from Representative Howard Berman (D-Calif.), the chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee, and apparently Howie is a little more believable because he is able to convince her that she just hung up on President Elect Obama. TWICE. Bwah ha ha ha! Still laughing.

I give Ileana Long Name credit for recovering well, as she reportedly said to Barack (when she finally decided to take his call), "Saturday Night Live could use a good Obama impersonator like you." So, Tina Fey, be careful! Obama may replace you as the best impersonator on Saturday Night Live... although does it count if you are impersonating yourself? And to all you other political yahoos out there... if you get a call and they said its Barack Obama, why don't you go out on a limb and go ahead and take that call. I am not sure what looks worse... getting pranked by a radio station or missing out on being named Post Master General because you hung up!

No comments: