Monday, May 2, 2011

A Former Hippy

My name is Lynn, and I used to be a hippy. There. I said it. True story and I earned the street cred to back it up. I was heavily involved with Amnesty International in college, even serving as the Co-President of the Kansas State University chapter for a year. I earned many a callus from writing anti-death penalty appeals to virtually every lawmaker in the country. But, I learned something last night as President Obama announced that Osama bin Laden was killed.... I'm not that hippy girl anymore.

I am not proud of my change of attitude, but I am willing to admit it is true. Other people, my wise and better hearted brother for one, immediately pointed out that if you believe in the sanctity of life, then no death should be celebrated. I wholeheartedly agree, but yet in my heart... I celebrate. Mark Twain once said, "I've never wished a man dead, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." And, I will admit it.... that's how I feel. Not proud, but honest....

I read about man on the east coast whose son was brutally murdered in the 70s. The killer is set to be released from prison soon, and the father went on a national morning show and announced that he will kill that murderer if he sees him on the street. Not a threat.... a promise. And, I have to say... though I am not proud of it, I sided with that dad. I could have those same feelings if someone came near my babies. I am not right... but I would feel justified.

In any case, while I am not glad for the death of this human being, I think his death can promote some healing for this country. Ten years ago, this country suffered a great tragedy and I pray that this man's death will allow for some of that pain to subside. And if it does.... this evil man deserved it. He had it coming. And I'm not sad.

1 comment:

Tuffy said...

Better hearted? Not by a long shot.

I'm not saddened by the death, but by the lack of humanity surrounding it.