Thursday, February 28, 2013

All The Single Mamas

With this post I want to accomplish two things.  One, to get Beyonce's "All the Single Ladies" stuck in your head as you read the title and two, to give a great big shout out, fist pump, and a side of kudos to all the women (and men) who raise their kids alone.  Mark is currently out of town, and I have had two nights of single motherhood and I have to tell ya... I'm about done.

I would have said (and will probably say again tomorrow when Mark returns), that I do the lion's share of the work around here.  However, having Mark gone has truly made me realize how much he does (or should I say "how much I have him do?").  Its just nice having a second person to help run the show. 

Last night I was getting ready for the cleaning people to come today (yes, I realize how stupid that sounds) and I still had to do all the kid running that Mark usually does.  That is on top of homework, cooking, eating with the kids, and cleaning up.  I was also doing laundry and... get this... I even had to put it all away!  Oh, the humanity!  On a typical night, Mark is the laundry putter awayer and the kids' chauffer. 

Today, I was my usual 7:00a to 6:00p SAHM, but then I had to do dinner alone, and clean up alone, and make the three beds that the boys either puked or peed on alone, and get them ready for bed alone and now the playroom is looking at me and is a mess and I have to clean it alone.  (Now get some Celine Dion "All By Myself" going...)

The nice thing is... I know Mark is coming home.  Tomorrow.  4:55pm.  I will not be a single mom for much longer.  But, some women are.  Some women don't get to look forward to a book and a bath Friday night because they're alone then, too.  Those women are now officially my heros.  (Insert Mariah Carrey's "Hero" here.)  Really, for all of us who play the working moms have it harder/stay home moms have it harder game, here's the truth...  Single moms have it hardEST!

2 comments:

metamorphstorm said...

Sorry to be a bother, but near the end of the post, it says, "Those women are *not* officially my heros," and I wonder if it was meant to be "now" ?

Good post, though - my mom varied between single-mom-hood and married-mom-hood for a while (long stories) and she had it hard no matter what...as a non-mom, I think ALL moms, be they stay-at-homes, employed, single, or married, have a hard job :)

Karen McAfoos said...

I couldn't agree more. Although TJ is not out of town he is gone before the kids are up in the morning and home after they are in bed. I had my breaking point last night. I thought our long talk made progress but this morning I am doubtful lol. Thank God it's the weekend. Have a great weekend.