Thursday, June 24, 2010

Why do bad things happen to good people?

I am sure you have noticed this phenomenon in your own worlds, but I have been faced with a most unfortunate example today. Someone I care about has had a really rough year... and today, her aunt and uncle died in a motorcycle accident. As if she hasn't had enough pain in one year, it has tripled in one afternoon and it left me wondering.... why is it always someone good who suffers so much?

I had a little conversation with God about it, but as always, those conversations end up being very one sided. I asked... and the answer didn't come. So, I Googled it. Yahoo answers posted this as their best answer "My mom always said that the devil doesn't mess with the bad people, because he already has them." The Experience Project said "sh*t happens to everyone... good or bad." And Wikipedia said "to gain wisdom, to teach us a lesson, so we get closer to [God]."

So, after trolling the interwebs and finding nothing, I was forced to come to my own conclusions... and it came in two parts.

1. Bad things happen to bad people too, but the difference is that I don't care. It don't mean no never mind to me if Joran Van Der Sloot's father died, because he is a bad bad man and I don't sympathize. Bernie Madeoff has some medical issues, and I won't lose any sleep for that thief. But, when my cousin has a horrid year and it just became more difficult, I care. I sit up and I take notice, and I take the time to ask God and Google for answers.

2. God and Google don't have answers. The world works the way the world works, be it a divine plan from God or Karma or randomness. It is what it is and I can't fathom or fix it. But, it is what you do with your days that makes the difference. I think Rocky Balboa said it best... "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me or nobody is going to hit as hard as life. But, it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward."

So, to my cousin and the rest of the people out there who are suffering through hard times... I don't know why things work this way. But, I do know that the key is how we take them and move forward in our lives... and good people like my cousin can do it.

1 comment:

Tuffy said...

That's been the biggest theological question throughout Christian history. The most comforting answer I have is that it absolutely is painful to God that she's going through this. It breaks His heart even more than it does yours to watch it happen.

God definitely didn't create the perfect worldyet . And we as humans don't do much to make it better.