Thursday, November 13, 2008

Just a wee bit crazy...

I mentioned in my first "introductory" blog post that my grandmother moved in with my parents last year. Before the move, she lived in either Massachusetts or Oregon, and we were Midwesterners, so I never really knew them all that well. We visited once a year, at most, and they couldn't really be called "kid people" while we were there. They were pleasant and all, but not fall to the floor and play types. So, now that she is here full time, I feel like we are getting to know her for the first time. And that, my friends, is an experience.

She turned 90 years old last February, and if you ask her, she is sharp as a tack. I, however, have come to the conclusion that she's just a little bit nuts. I cannot attest to whether or not this is a condition that has existed a long time, or if its fresh 90 year old senility. Don't get me wrong, its a good nuts, an amusing nuts... but nuts nonetheless. Here's a couple examples...

The other day I get a phone call from her. I was on the other line, so I didn't pick up. I listened to the voicemail and she proceeded to tell me that she saw that I called, but she missed it. She assumed I was calling for my mom, so she wanted to call back and let me know that my mom was walking her dog and she would have her call when she returned. Normal, right? No. For starters, I never called there. I even checked my call log on my phone to make sure Will didn't do it. Nothing there. Second, I could hear my mom's dog barking in the background during the entire message, so if he was out walking, she would have to have been right beside him. And last, I called my mom later to figure out what was going on and she said that she was standing in her bedroom when my grandma made that call. So, really, my grandma called responding to a call I didn't make to tell me that my mom was out walking the dog, which she wasn't. Good communication.

Today, I got yet another dose of kook. The cleaning people were here (yes, I am a stay at home mother with a cleaning service... life is good) and I took Will, Jack and Bentley Woof to my parents' house to be out of their way. We are watching The Bonnie Hunt show, total Ellen rip off but Ellen is opposite The View and I love me some View, so I miss Ellen and watch Bonnie at 10. Now that that's cleared up, Bonnie had some Dancing with the Stars folks on and my grandma is a HUGE fan of that show. We were talking about how damn cute Julianne Hough is (hate that girl) and she proceeds to tell me that she has been watching Julianne and her brother Derek dance on that show since they were 8 or 9 years old. The show first aired in 2005, so that would make them 11 or 12 now. She looks young, but not that young. The best part is that she proceeded to talk about how she would watch it with my grandfather when it was on and how much they enjoyed the program. Grandpa died in November of 99.

So that's a little intro to 90 year old Grandma Nutty. The sad part is, I am 29 (for a few more days) and at 29 I am probably just about as senile as she is. So, God help me when my granddaughter is blogging about me in my 90s! I will probably be committed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My 86 year old mother in law exhibits similar behavior and she lives with my wife and I 24/7. It just takes some getting used to. She makes herself very useful with her "job" (housework) so it's almost like having a live-in maid. Only thing that bugs me is that she hums. No particular tune or theme, just random semi-musical humming. But if they get to that age and haven't vegged out, God Bless 'em, I hope I do as well!

SchafhausenHansen said...

Is it wrong to laugh out loud to someone's grandma acting crazy. I mean I feel a bit guilty, but it was funny, in a crazy, I can't believe what is going on kind of way. :)

Lynn C Mama to 3 said...

JD - You are 100% correct! I say if she is managing to get out of bed in the morning, then good for her. I just wait for the day she doesn't realize she's out of bed and she strided through the house naked. I hope to God that my kids and I are not there to see it!

Julie - Seriously I feel the same way. I debated whether or not to blog about her, trying not to be disrespectful... but if you can't laugh about it, what are you going to do?