Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Wednesday What the...

I have no business having children. That was confirmed for me this morning. I have three, and quite honestly, I don't get them at all. Anyone who has read my blog before is sitting here going "uh duh... We gathered that from day one." But, if you're new to the blog... please allow me to elaborate on my most recent confirmation that Lynn plus children equals "what the....?"

I live in the Hoosier state, and we have about 12 inches of snow on the ground. My neighborhood is pretty lazy (we fit right in!) so very few of the sidewalks were shoveled between here and the bus stop on the corner. The first snow came last week, so that was blocking the walks and then we received about another 4 inches yesterday. Thanks, Mother Nature!!! So, brilliant me decides that Mark (not me... are you nuts) should snow blow the sidewalks from our neighbors' house (one house up from us) to the bus stop. And blow the snow he did. In fact, he skipped our driveway and front walk just to make sure that our Cobblestone hood rats had the chance to walk snow free to the stop. I was so proud of it... not just his hard work, but more importantly, my wonderful idea. The neighborhood would be so grateful to have children with dry feet, instead of snow up to their ankles or kids walking in the ice covered street. Glowing with pride, I watched my stepdaughter meet her little friends to walk to the stop.

I was so pleased that we were responsible for the dry walk to the bus stop. Our neighbors are so lucky to have such givers in their neighborhood (remember that when we have a huge inflatable swimming pool filled with toxic waste and mosquito larva in the summer). I beamed with pride as I watched Tabbi cross the street and head toward the clean walks. Her three little friends waited for her as she crossed and I wondered how excited they would be to not have to dredge through the snow for half a block. I watched and waited to see them walk those clear walks. I watched... I watched... I watched her bypass the clean walks and climb right up onto the four foot snowdrift on the edge of the street (thanks Mr. Snow Plow). I watched her friends follow. I watched all four kids climb up that four foot drift and sink down to their butts. They proceeded to go up and down drifts the entire walk to the bus stop. Good thing we (by we I mean Mark) spent that time clearing those sidewalks because the nobody that used them really appreciated it. A smarter person would have totally known that this would be the way children walk to school in the snow. So, in honor of my Wednesday What the... I present... What the hell were we thinking snow blowing sidewalks no kid will use???

8 comments:

Tuffy said...

Remember the giant pile around the Hoover parking lot? That was the best.

Busy Bee Suz said...

This is so funny. I have zero experience w/ snow...but I too would have thought it would be nice to have a clean walk to the bus...those darn kids...always finding ways to have fun and make us waste our time!!!

Mark said...

I think it is pretty hilarious

Anonymous said...

Very cute story and oh, so true.

I guess the best laid plans never get put through the test. At least you don't have to drive her to school :)

Colleen said...

It's the thought that counts...and it was YOUR wonderful thought :) Great blog, I'm new here, but I'm about to be a follower!!

Lynn C Mama to 3 said...

Mike - Of course. We have nothing here that rivals that mountain.

Suz - Seriously... kids can make adults' hard work look soooo fruitless. I love it.

Mark - Hilarios til I make you do it again.

Lisa - Good point! I'd rather see her walk through a blizzard than drive her. Is that wrong???

Colleen - Thanks for reading, and you're right... it was MY thought!

Anonymous said...

I am with Mark- I think it is a great idea!! I would have done it too!
Laura

Lynn C Mama to 3 said...

Laura - Ok, it was MY idea. Not Mark's. I get the credit. ME!