Monday, January 25, 2010

Judging Everybody, not just Amy....

So, why is it we are a society bent on making people feel bad about the decisions that they make? Have you ever wondered that? I am pretty sure humans are the only species that look at their co-humans and think "oh my God, did you see that... she totally (insert anything and everything here)...." I never see my dog looking at other dog's collars and scoffing. When I used to have cats, I don't think they sat in wonder at the size of the other cat's ass. I think they just exist. I think they worry about themselves and how to make themselves happy. I am pretty sure my dog's internal monologue is something along the lines of... "I'm sleepy." Snore. Snore. Snore. "I'm thirsty." Lap. Lap. Lap. "I'm hungry." Chew. Chew. Chew. "I'm itchy." Lick. Lick. Lick. Repeat several times daily. But, not us. Oh, no. We know how to dress, look, raise kids, praise God, and perform every other possible task better than anyone else around us, and when someone does it differently... look out! More judges than a daytime television line up!

Here's my thoughts. I don't care what religion you are. Praise God, praise Allah, praise fifteen gods.... whatever floats your boat. I go for God myself, but I don't go through a real religion to do it. I was born Catholic (insert obvious joke here) and I am not practicing anymore. Not because I have any deep philosophical reason, but because I like to sleep in on Sundays. But, I believe that I am spiritual. I pray (and not just to win the lottery, although I never buy tickets, so I am pretty sure that one isn't coming to fruition any time soon). I teach my sons to pray and thank God for what we have and we ask him to watch over people in need. But, I don't go to church (unless dropping Will off at preschool counts, and then I do twice a week). Here's what I believe.... the basis behind all religions is to teach us to be good people. Don't kill. Check. Be good to each other (which might be from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and not the Bible, I am not sure). Check. What building you sit in and what title you give yourself doesn't matter to me. Be good to each other. Check.

I don't care what your marital status is. I don't care if you want to have kids. I don't care if you cheered for the Jets and not the Colts, and I don't care if you need to lose ten pounds (or ten times ten pounds). These are parts of who you are, but they are not the sum of your parts. But there are so many people who don't see that. There are people who think you are raising your kids wrong because you buy soap and don't make it, and use antibiotics when they are sick. There are people who think that because you tend to vote democrat, you are suddenly a dirty hippy. And there are people who snap these judgments and then make it their mission to make sure you know you've been judged and therefore are somehow unworthy of their presence or acceptance. Who died and made you people Judge Judy? I ask you.

Will has a Veggie Tales movie that includes a Dr. Seuss-ish story about the land of the Snoodles where a young Snoodle's actions are met with ridicule from the older Snoodles. Eventually the young Snoodle talks to God who explains that this Snoodle is meant to see beauty whereas the others only seem to enjoy making others feel badly. And you know what, those Snoodles are us. I listen to that Veggie Tales episode and really hope that my boys do too, because I want them to see others' differences for what they are.... the wonderful diversity we have in this world. Big Words for Little People by Jamie Lee Curtis has a great page defining the word "different." She says "Different is what makes this world so great. Different is never something to hate." Amen, Jamie Lee. Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really? You've never been the Judge Judy in the situation. That isn't what your blog says.

Lynn C Mama to 3 said...

Oh, snap. You're right. I judge a lot, but only when they really deserve it. Yeah, I mean you, Sarah "Notes Written on Your Hand" Palin!