Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Dinner With A Friend (The Sequel)

Did you notice that this time there are no quotations around the word friend? Last night I really did feel like we were closer to what we used to be... and I attribute a lot of it from the advice I got from you guys.

J.D., in particular, struck a cord. Why wouldn't I be myself? I was going out with my friends Homa and Laura, and Ardnas too, but why not focus on the way we always have fun... and the Ardnas part will work itself out. And you know what? It did. You're a smart man, Charlie Brown (or J.D.).

I wore what I would wear if I went out with my usual group. I acted how I would act if I went out with my usual group... and when I made a sarcastic comment (I know... me sarcastic... who'd have thunk it), Ardnas laughed too. And when she talked about her kids, who are so close to mine in age, it didn't feel like a competition. Her Retep is no better or worse than Will... just different. Although, at least he is potty trained... so he's one upping me in that regard for sure! (Not me, I've been potty trained for years... but Mr. Will is a stubborn little pooper). In all honesty, we did do the Christmas letter versions of life to some extent, but I think that is normal. I think that its to be expected that you don't come out with the boo hoos and the "my life suckses" when you haven't seen someone in a long time. But, it wasn't completely fake. There was honesty on her part about some professional issues, and I made it pretty clear that Will belongs in a straight jacket most of the time.

Time will tell what happens next. I was just as absent as she was for the last six months. I didn't call her either. So, the ball may be in my court now. She initiated dinner this time. In a little while (not 6 months), it will be my turn to make the effort. But, I think, if we can connect a little more often, the friendship that I used to value may make a come back.... (don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years... Sorry. Always gotta channel a little LL Cool J when I talk about comebacks).

4 comments:

the mama bird diaries said...

I'm so glad things went well.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I love that LL CJ song..now it is in my head.
I did love what JD said yesterday, yes, he is a wise one. I am glad you went and had a nice time. It's best to always have some sort of repor with people you know, even if you are not friendly with them...that way you are never uncomfortable running into them in the store, school, office, bar. Etc... :0 (I just threw in the bar part for fun)
Maybe it will turn back into a good friendship, or just be anacquaintance type friendship...you did good.

Roxane said...

Don't call it a comeback, I've been here for years...I read that in LL's voice...

Kudo's to you for having a good time last night!

Lynn C Mama to 3 said...

Mama Bird - Me, too. It was a pleasant surprise.

Suz - Sorry... nothing worse than a song stuck in your head. Even a classic like that.

Momo-Mama - Thanks!!!